For the purpose of satisfying the growing demand of the international community for Chinese language teachers and facilitating Chinese language education in other countries, the Center for Language Education and Cooperation (CLEC) will continue to offer the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship. Confucius Institutes, independently operated Confucius Classrooms, certain HSK test centers, Chinese language (education) departments of foreign universities, professional associations for Chinese language instruction of other countries, Chinese embassies (consulates) abroad (collectively “recommending institutions”) may recommend outstanding students and currently-employed Chinese language teachers to study International Chinese Language Education or related majors in Chinese universities and colleges ( “host institutions”).
Jiujiang University (JJU) is one of the host institutions of International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship and started to take students in 2010. Up to now, more than 150 students have been accepted and studied at JJU. JJU has been recognized by the State Council as a base for Chinese language education. The Confucius Institute in Phnom Penh of Cambodia, jointly established by JJU and Royal Academy of Cambodia, is one of the globally model institutes.
All applicants shall be:
1. non-Chinese citizens;
2. with good academic performance and conduct;
3. committed to the Chinese language education and related work;
4. between the ages of 16 and 35. Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall not be over 45, while undergraduate student applicants shall not be over 25.
SCHOLARSHIP CATEGORIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
The JJU two programs of International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship:
1. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study
The program commences in September, and provides scholarship for a maximum of eleven months. International students currently studying in China are not eligible.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 270 on the HSK test (Level 3), and an HSKK test score is required.
2). Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Chinese Philosophy, etc.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 on the HSK test (Level 4) and 60 on the HSKK test (Intermediate Level).
3). Chinese Language Study
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 210 on the HSK test (Level 3). Priority will be given to applicants who provide an HSKK test score.
2. Scholarship for One-Semester Study
The program commences either in March or September, and provides scholarship of a maximum of five months. Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
TCSOL, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Chinese Philosophy, etc.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 on the HSK test (Level 3), and an HSKK test score is required.
SCHOLARSHIP COVERAGE AND CRITERIA
The scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
1. Tuition is under the overall planning and utilization of JJU to provide teaching and management of scholarship students organizing cultural and social activities, as well as organizing Chinese language proficiency tests.
2. Accommodation fee is under the overall planning and utilization of JJU to provide students with in-campus apartments (double rooms).
3.Living allowance is granted by JJU on a monthly basis. The monthly allowance for one-academic-year study students and one-semester students is RMB 2,500 yuan per person.
Students are required to complete enrollment procedures for every semester within stipulated period; otherwise, their scholarship may be cancelled. Students who are enrolled before the 15th (or on the 15th) of the month are entitled to the full allowance of that month while those enrolled after the 15th of that month are only entitled to half of the amount.
During the study period, for any student who is absent from China due to personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding winter and summer holidays), the allowance during absence will be suspended.
For students who suspend study or drop out of school for personal reasons, or who are given disciplinary punishment by JJU, allowance will be terminated on the date of such suspension, dropping out or when the decision of such punishment is announced.
The living allowance for the month of graduation will be granted half a month after the date of graduation or expiration day of the study confirmed by JJU.
4. Comprehensive medical insurance is purchased by JJU.
APPLICATION DOCUMENTS FOR SCHOLARSHIP
1. For all applicants:
1). a scanned copy of passport photo page;
2). a scanned copy of score reports of the HSK and HSKK tests (within the two-year validity);
3). a reference letter by the head of the recommending institutions.
2. Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall provide proof of employment as well as a reference letter by the employer.
3. Applicants under the age of 18 shall provide certified documents of designation signed by their entrusted legal guardians in China.
Online registration will be available from March 1 on the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship application website (cis.chinese.cn). Please log on to search for recommending institutions and host institutions (Jiujiang University); upload application materials online; and track the application progress, comments and result. Scholarship holders need to confirm with JJU to go through the procedures of studying in China, print out the scholarship certificate online, and register at JJU on the designated date as per the letter of admission.
The application deadlines (Beijing Time) are:
1. For programs commencing in September, student application must complete before May 15th in the same year; recommending institutions and host institutions must complete review before May 25th of the year;
2. For programs commencing in March, student application must complete before November 15th in the previous year; recommending institutions and host institutions must complete review before November 25th of the previous year.
CLEC will entrust an expert panel to review the applications. Decisions will be made based on HSK and HSKK scores and levels, and in consideration of country distribution as well as other factors. The results will be published about three months before school starts.
CHINESE BRIDGE AWARD RECIPIENT POLICIES
Chinese Bridge winners who have been awarded the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Certificate shall log onto the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship website and submit documents to relevant host institutions (Jiujiang University) upon presentation of their scholarship certificates. For inquiry, please contact email@example.com.
1. Please contact JJU for curriculum and course listings.
2. Applicants shall be familiar with the specific criteria and deadlines for registration, and submit necessary documents according to specific requirements.
3. Those who fail to register on time, drop out midway and/or are suspended from school will be deprived of their scholarship.
Faculty of International Studies, Jiujiang University
Address: Faculty of International Studies, Jiujiang University, 551 Qianjin Donglu, Jiujiang City, Jiangxi Province, 332005, P.R. China
Tel: +86-792-8312906 / 8313358
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com